Two steps forward

I can deal with anything I will have to deal in this ridiculous adventure. I feel confident about that. However, I feel like I reserve the right to be bothered by things that are trivial in the grand scheme of things.

One of those things is that I won’t be able to get reconstructive surgery until after chemo and radiation. The surgeon estimated that to be a year from now. For some reason, that REALLY bothers me.

We faxed all of my medical records to MD Anderson this morning. I am waiting for them to go through them to make sure everything is there. Once that is done, they will schedule my appointment. They are looking at the third week of October in scheduling right now. That means that I would need to reschedule my surgery up here in order to get a second opinion down there.

One of the positives about going down there is that the surgeon, plastic surgeon, oncologist, etc. all work together as a team to develop and implement your treatment plan. Not so up here. It is very disjointed.

For instance, the surgeon yesterday told me that I would likely need radiation due to where the tumor was located; therefore, I cannot get reconstruction at the time of the mastectomy. However, she has never spoken to my oncologist (neither have I for the record – that appointment is tomorrow). Based on her assumption, she doesn’t intend to engage a plastic surgeon until next year when the chemo/radiation is done.

I just feel like she/we should at least ASK if it is possible that I won’t have radiation before we make that decision.

Going to MD Anderson will likely tell me the same thing. I mean, she has good logic behind why I would need radiation – it is likely sitting on my chest muscle because the tumor is very high up on my chest. They won’t take out the muscle so they need to do radiation to make sure they get it all. I get that. I would just feel better if she, the oncologist and the plastic surgeon had discussed and agreed that this is best.

But I also don’t want to wait until November to start what will dominate a year or more of my life. Let’s get this thing started!

So, I am postponing my “MD Anderson-or-bust” decision until they call me back with an appointment day. It isn’t like I can do anything now anyway.

Big decisions, folks. Big decisions.

9 thoughts on “Two steps forward

  1. I love you very much. Here to support you anyway I can. Your years of logical thinking skills will help you make the best decision. Thank you for doing this for all your supporters to keep up with you!

  2. Jenny,
    Your mom just forwarded the link to your blog to Nikki and I. I want you to know that we are all rooting for you. I’ve been in touch with your mom regularly to get updates on you. We are so sorry you have to go through this. Not sure how we can help, but if there is anything we can do like help watch the kids on weekends or evenings please don’t hesitate to ask. I admire your strength and can only imagine how difficult this must be for you as well as for Alan. Keep your chin up (easy to say, I know) and remember that we’re thinking about you.
    Love Tom

  3. Jenny, I’m so sorry to hear about your breast cancer. You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Laura

  4. Jenny our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. The place where Nancy works the nurses have done very well with surgeries in this area. Some are two years out and doing great. We look so forward for this being behind you instead of in front of you, Love you Jack and Nancy

    • Thanks, Jack. I’m looking forward to it being behind me too. Let’s get this show on the road! I appreciate your words of support. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *