Chemo update #2

One of my main concerns was that the company would begin running the OncoType DX test on my tumor when my insurance has not agreed to cover it.

The good news is that isn’t happening because, as of Friday, MD Anderson STILL hadn’t sent my tumor.

The bad news is that, as of Friday, MD Anderson STILL hadn’t sent my tumor.

Dr. Razaq (OKC oncologist) said that she really wants to run this test. Apparently, she presented my case to the “tumor board,” and they all agreed that it need to be run since it is an unusual case.

She didn’t seem worried that the insurance is not wanting to cover it. She says she can get that taken care of. The biggest hurdle is getting the actual tumor to the place to be tested.

It has been more than four weeks since we met with them, and we are no closer to having the test done than we were then.

The hard part for me is that, while I can definitely hold my own, I feel like I have to be very careful about how I deal with these situations. This nurse that I am dealing with is going to be the nurse I deal with throughout my entire chemo treatment. I don’t want to be enemies.

At the same time, being nice and polite has not gotten me very far. So…I might or might not have had a hissy fit on the phone with the oncologist’s nurse on Friday afternoon. I explained to her that, even if this wasn’t a huge priority for her, it was, in fact my LIFE. I know that sounds dramatic, but…it is.

I told her that I was torn because I really like the oncologist, but things did not seem to be moving the way they should. We (READ: SHE) aren’t following up on things like we should. It just shouldn’t take this long.

I know that I’m not the only patient they have. I get that. That’s why when I got the initial feeling I fell through the cracks a few weeks ago, I let it go. Now, it is getting out of hand.

Shortly after my temper tantrum, the oncologist called me herself. We are scheduled to meet tomorrow morning at 9:30 am. I’m not sure we will accomplish much, but we will figure out the plan, I suppose.

I’ll keep you guys posted!


5 thoughts on “Chemo update #2

  1. That nurse is going to have to deal with a very angry sister, brother, parents, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, husband, etc. (you get the picture) if she doesn’t pull it together and take care of our girl! Just say the word and I will give her a piece of MY mind. It won’t be pretty. (I’ve been practicing in my head. Ha!)
    Hang in there, beautiful. I hope things will get better after your meeting tomorrow. ((Hugs))

  2. Good luck tomorrow. Be strong and honest. Tell her that you want her to see it from your perspective. Ask her if it is normal for this to take this long and make sure you give the doctor a timeline with your experience with the nurse so she can see why so frustrated with her help. I think you will know if this is right for you by her response to all of this.

  3. Pingback: Words can't describe... | The Herzy Journey

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *